The Tathagata Dwells Compassionate towards All Living Begins

SYP-Store
0

"Venerable sir, doesn't the Blessed One dwell compassionate towards all living beings?" 

  "Yes, headman, the Tathägata dwells compassionate towards all living beings." 

  "Then why is it, venerable sir, that the Blessed One teaches the Dhamma thoroughly to some, yet not so thoroughly to others?" 

  "Well then, headman, I will question you about this. Answer as you see fit. What do you think, headman? Suppose a farmer here had three fields: one excellent, one of middling quality, and one inferior-rough, salty, with bad ground. What do you think, headman? If that farmer wishes to sow seed, where would he sow it first: in the excellent field, in the field of middling quality, or in the field that was inferior, the one that was rough, salty, with bad ground?"

 "If, venerable sir, that farmer wishes to sow seed, he would sow it in the excellent field. Having sown seed there, he would next sow seed in the field of middling quality. Having sown seed there, he might or might not sow seed in the field that was inferior, the one that was rough, salty, with bad ground. For what reason? Because at least it can be used as fodder for the cattle."

 "Headman, just like the field that is excellent are the bhikkhus and bhikkhunÄ«s to me. I teach them the Dhamma that is good in the beginning, good in the middle, and good in the end, with the right meaning and phrasing; I reveal the holy life that is perfectly complete pure. For what reason? 

  Because they dwell with me as their island, with me as their shelter, with me as their protector, with me as their refuge.

 "Then, headman, just like the field of middling quality are the male and female lay followers to me. To them too I teach the Dhamma that is good in the beginning, good in the middle, and good in the end, with the right meaning and phrasing; I reveal the holy life that is perfectly complete and pure. For what reason?

  Because they dwell with me as their island, with me as their shelter, with me as their protector, with me as their refuge. 

 "Then, headman, just like that field that is inferior-rough, salty, with bad ground-are the ascetics, brahmins, and wanderers of other sects to me. Yet to them too I teach the Dhamma that is good in the beginning, good in the middle, and good in the end, with the right meaning and phrasing; I reveal the holy life that is perfectly complete and pure. For what reason? Because if they understand even a single sentence, that will lead to their welfare and happiness for a long time."

Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.
Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Accept !) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Learn More
Accept !
To Top